What are dermal fillers?
Injectable dermal fillers are a convenient and cost-effective short-term treatment option for individuals with the aesthetic goal of restoring a youthfully refreshed facial appearance without having to undergo an invasive surgical procedure such as a facelift.
Dermal fillers have become increasingly popular because the injections are non-surgical, generally take no more than 30 minutes and require minimal post-treatment downtime. This means that patients can easily schedule a treatment session during their lunch hour, and, in most cases, return to work immediately afterwards.
A key component of many of the newest dermal fillers is a substance known as hyaluronic acid (HA), which is an element found naturally in the skin’s connective tissue. Hyaluronic acid functions by drawing water into the skin, thereby hydrating the skin and preserving its youthfully “plump” voluminous appearance. With age, the body’s natural hyaluronic acid levels can decrease, causing the delicate facial skin to lose volume and highlighting the appearance of wrinkles, folds and fine lines. By replenishing the body’s hyaluronic acid levels, dermal fillers can effectively restore lost volume to the contours of the face, smooth and fill in fine lines and facial wrinkles, augment thin lips and minimize the appearance of scars.
What are my dermal filler options?
There are a number of effective dermal filler options, including, but not limited to:
- JUVÉDERM®: a hyaluronic-acid based injectable that is ideally suited for patients seeking to augment their lips, replenish lost facial volume or fill in facial wrinkles and folds. JUVÉDERM® is FDA-approved to provide rejuvenating results that last up to one year from the initial treatment. Because of its smooth texture, JUVÉDERM® may be, for the most part, appropriate for patients of all ethnic groups and skin types, even those with thin, sensitive skin.
- Restylane®: a filler formulated with a biocompatible, non-animal based form of hyaluronic acid, making it a generally safe and effective choice for patients with allergies who would like to add volume to their face and lips, and diminish the appearance of moderate to severe facial folds and lines. Restylane® treatments can last between 6-18 months.
- Radiesse® and Sculptra®: are non-hyaluronic acid based dermal fillers utilized to add volume to the hands and face (most often in the cheek and temple regions, where volume loss is typically most prominent. Although Sculptra® and Radiesse® both function by stimulating the production of collagen in the body, Radiesse also augments your facial volume on its own, making it a suitable choice for patients seeking more immediate results. Both fillers can be used for: molding chins, contouring cheeks and jaw lines, augmenting lips, sculpting noses, correcting laugh lines and rejuvenating hands. On average, Sculptra® results can last up to two years (after the initial injection series), and Radiesse results can last up to one year.
During your initial consultation, Dr. Sinno will assess your facial anatomy and treatment goals in order to help you select the appropriate dermal filler (or combination of fillers).
Aside from any minor swelling or bruising (which subsides in three to five days), the visible results of your dermal filler treatment will be apparent immediately after your treatment. It should last between five months to one year (depending on the specific filler you had injected). Periodic maintenance treatments are recommended, in order to preserve your initial dermal filler results.
What is the post dermal filler advice and care?
– Day procedure
Botulinum toxin generally takes 10-20 minutes, after which, you may be released to return home or back to work etc.
– Are bandages needed after dermal fillers?
No bandages are generally necessary after dermal filler injections. Ice packs can be applied for the first few hours after filling, to help minimize bruising and swelling. This is usually not necessary.
– When can I resume normal showers and washing after dermal fillers?
Dr. Sinno recommends that his patients avoid hot baths or showers at least four hours after dermal filler injections to prevent the undesired dissipation of the product to adjacent muscles.
– When can I resume normal activity and exercise after dermal fillers?
You will be advised to refrain from all activities that may increase your heart rate or blood pressure, including exercise, sexual activity, stressful situations, etc. for at least four hours after the injection.
Patients are generally able to go back to work and drive after dermal injections.
– General Healing
Although very rare, some patients may experience some swelling and bruising that will peak one to two days after injections and usually subsides within a few days.
What are the risks and potential complications of dermal fillers?
All medical and surgical procedures have inherent risks and potential complications associated with them. It is imperative that you understand the potential risks, complications and consequences that can arise after the medical or surgical procedure you undertake. This understanding will better allow you to be able to provide informed consent based on the comparison to the potential benefit of the desired procedure.
Although the materialization of inherent risks is rare and developing complications is unlikely, these are real events that can occur. Dr. Sinno will help you to understand the risk/benefit profile of your desired procedure.
Before and After Gallery
Please Click here for representative examples of pre and post-operative photos of patients from the website of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS).
Disclaimer: before and after photos are only intended for informative purposes and do not constitute a guarantee for results and satisfaction. The pre-operative photos are shown on the left and the post-operative photos are shown on the right.
Contact Dr. Sinno
Dr. Sinno and his well-trained Eternelle team have worked hard to create a welcoming and comforting environment. They will take the time to thoroughly explain your dermal filler procedure details and options. Your procedure will be uniquely customized to reflect your personal aesthetic goals. We look forward to providing you with a safe and comfortable experience as well as delivering you the treatment that you deserve.
Do you have more questions? We are happy to answer them. We invite you to contact our office today to schedule your initial consultation with Dr. Sinno.